Autism Communities is proud to be partnering with developers such as Greenview Properties to provide supported independent living opportunities throughout Long Island that are integrated into the local community. At Autism Communities, all residents are Self-Directed through NY State’s Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD). Support personnel are provided for, and supplied through, each individual’s Self-Direction budget and Circle of Support.
Autism Communities works to provide affordable 1 and 2 bedroom apartments to qualified candidates, in a Non-Certified setting. Qualified housing candidates have the option to live independently in a one bedroom apartment, with a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment, or with a live-in caregiver in a 2 bedroom apartment.
In an effort to identify appropriate candidates for our current model, Autism Communities has set up a person-centered candidate process. This is to help individuals and their circles establish the steps needed, as well as those recommended, to be approved for AC-sponsored independent living arrangements. This is very much an individualized process, and Autism Communities always endeavors to ensure that potential residents are set up for safety and success, to the best extent possible. The length of the candidate process varies dependent upon several individual factors. Autism Communities has established the following list of criteria that help identify viable housing candidates:
- 20-35 years old
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis
- New York State Resident
- Are currently Self Directed through NY State OPWDD through the Long Island DDRO office (or are willing to switch DDRO’s)
- Currently have a Self Direction Broker, Care Manager, and Fiscal Intermediary
- Are willing to consider supports for independent living. This includes but is not limited to: Direct Support Professionals, Paid Neighbors, and Apartment Technology.
- Must not be considered medically fragile or have significant behavioral and/or violent tendencies.
- Must be able to complete a background check at the individual’s cost.
Please review our Housing Guide below to understand the steps in our housing candidate process. At this time, Autism Communities can only consider individuals for housing candidacy that meet the above criteria.
Preliminary Information form
If you or your loved one is interested in being considered for housing candidacy, please fill out the form below. A member of our team will contact you directly. Please note individuals who do not meet the above criteria will not be considered at the current time. Any other questions should be directed to: email@example.com. Thank you!